Hey there! I am glad you clicked on this post. Today I am doing a book review/discussion on Gordon Korman’s book Restart. But I am also am adding something on to this book – book club questions! You can use the questions at the end of the post to use at a book club, or you can use them to put your reading comprehension to the test! When you are done reading the questions you can comment your answers, (if you have read the book) and I will read and reply to your comments! Lets go ahead and get started!
I wasn’t sure whether or not to give this 3 or 4 stars. I decided 3. It has a very cool storyline, but I don’t think it suits a chapter book very well. I think that it could make a great short story. It was very slow, it didn’t really have a genuine plot and problem – the book just went no where. On the other hand, the book had a lot of laugh-out-loud moments that had me hysterical! I would recommend to any 8-10 year old who enjoyed Jeff Kinney’s Diary of a Wimpy Kid series and similar books.
The book is basically about a bully named Chase Ambrose who falls off his roof while hiding something valuable (read the book to find out what it is) during at the end of summer vacation. He hit his head so hard that he got amnesia. He doesn’t remember anything from his former “life”. Chase then returns to his school to start 8th grade. The problem is that he does not remember any of his so called friends, teachers, or family. But as you know, Chase was a bully before his accident – will he return to his former bully self, or will he become a nicer kid because he forgot how mean he used to be? Read Gordon Korman’s Restart to find out!
Chase is very sweet and understanding. He has a big heart and is ashamed of how big of a bully he was before amnesia.
– Joel Weber
Joel is very smart and talented. He is never mean to anyone, no matter who they are.
– Shoshanna Weber
Shosh is a very sassy and stubborn character. She cares very much for her twin brother, Joel.
Bear was one of Chase’s bully like friends that he was friends with before amnesia.
All in all, I think this book was a tad to slow, and the plot would be better in a short story and not a middle-grade novel. I would recommend this book to any 8-10 year old reader who enjoyed Jeff Kinney’s Diary of a Wimpy Kid series and similar reads. Be sure to follow me on Goodreads for more reviews and discussions like this one – https://www.goodreads.com/libbylongstocking. Be sure to subscribe to this blog for more fun book reviews/discussions, and other posts with fun bookish content. If you ever have any questions or comments, email me personally at firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit my ‘contact’ page. Therfore, have a fantastic day, and happy reading!
Book Club/Discussion Questions
1. Joel Weber, Shoshanna’s brother was sent away to another school because he was the target of Chase and his bully friends. After Chase has amnesia he doesn’t remember any of his past bullying, so went he sees Shoshanna after his accident he simply smiles and waves at her. If you were Shoshanna, how would you feel if the kids who bullied your twin brother supposedly forgot that he was a bully and waved at you?
2. What are some major changes that happened to Chase’s personality after amnesia?
3. What do you think of Chase joining the video club?
4. What do you think of Shoshanna’s reaction to Chase becoming a member of the video club?
5. If you were Brendon Espinoza, what would you think of having Chase as your camera man?
6. Why do you think Chase does community service for fun even though he is no longer required to?
7. Why do you think Kimberly joined the video club?
8. What was happening to Chase’s relationship with Aaron and Bear after he came back from his incident?
9. How do you think Chase felt after he remembered where the little girl and the blue dress memory came from?
10. How do you think Shoshanna felt after she saw the evidence that Chase was trying to help Brendon and Joel in the fire extinguisher accident and not hurt them?
Shop this book here!
𝙏𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙥𝙤𝙨𝙩 𝙢𝙖𝙮 𝙘𝙤𝙣𝙩𝙖𝙞𝙣 𝙖𝙛𝙛𝙞𝙡𝙞𝙖𝙩𝙚 𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙠𝙨. 𝘼𝙡𝙡 𝙤𝙥𝙞𝙣𝙞𝙤𝙣𝙨 𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙢𝙮 𝙤𝙬𝙣.